BORN OUT OF A RUSSIAN PASSION
It all started like a Russian novel. In 1909, the Grand Duke Michael of Russia, grandson of the Tsar, moved to Cannes to flee the imperial court and live a forbidden love with Sophie De Meremberg, granddaughter of the writer Pouchkine, a commoner judged a rank lower than his. Banished from Russia, the Grand Duke renounced the title of Tsar for her.
Cannes’ accomodations having neither the desired comfort nor the splendor expected for the receptions he intended to host there, he financed almost all of the hotel’s construction which was named “Carlton”, meaning “free man” in Scandinavian.
Henri Ruhl, famous hotelier and sponsor, and Charles Dalmas, renowned architect, took over the project.
In 1913, the most beautiful hotel that Cannes had ever seen, a monumental building in a neoclassical style with a Belle Époque spirit, opened.